Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
russet mites

Posted by dennyg 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 2, 09 at 17:47

I'm growing tomatoes hydroponically in a small home greenhouse. I have an infestation of russet mites. Recently I've used Fertilome's Triple Action Plus (Neem Oil) with they claim will control mites. My experience thus far is that it is not very effective in dealing with russet mites. It may kill a few of them, but a day or two after spraying they are many, and very active.

If anyone has a potion that will eliminate my russet mites, I hope that you will share it with me. I would prefer not to share my tomato plants with the mites.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: russet mites

I have yet to find anything that kills mites other than a systemic. These can't be used on food crops. Neem oil is a waste of money. You may as well spray them with plain water.

o

I had a really bad problem with tomato russet mites last year. I actually lost a lot of plants before I recognized the problem. I worked with a farm agent and people at Penn State. All of the things they recommended either came in gallon containers or cost several hundred or more dollars. All things considered I would recommend you try insecticidal soaps and liquid sulfur. Good luck and let me know how you do.

Lubadub@aol.com

o

Vegetable oil plus baking soda with water was highly recommended by an agriculturalist, but it hasn't worked for me.

I'm going to try a mite predator (Galendromus Occidentalis) which cost about $25 per 1000. I wouldn't bet a nickel that they'll do the job, BUT I'm betting $25?? In any case I'll let you know about my success or lack there of in about month. My tomatoes are good, but very pricey.

o

lubadub,

Using the G.Occidentalis predators was a failure. Probably too many prey, too few predators.

However, ferti-lome dusting sulfur applied as a spray appears to have been effective. In checking one leaf each from six plants that had been heavily infested, I detected, at 30X, a single russet mite.

I'll spray again in a couple weeks, to make sure that the few that survived don't have time to repopulate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here