Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wilt? virus? physiological? (with pics)

Posted by houstongardener09 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 8, 11 at 17:47

hi i live near houston, texas. my tomatoes are wilting from the base up. the leaves are mottled green and yellow. They are growing in fifteen gallon pots and receive water every two days. the soil is a mix of potting mix, poultry fertilizer, cornmeal, rock phosphate, and cow manure. Temps are in the eighties during the day and seventies and high sixties at night here. I cant tell if its a physiological problem or some sort of wilt or a virus maybe. The plants are really tall but not filling out. the new growth looks kinda stringy but im skeptical as to whether its cucumber mosaic virus. please help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wilt? virus? physiological? (with pics)

It's kind of hard to tell without photos. Even with photos, it's not always easy.

I wonder about the source of your fertilizer and if it might contain the herbicide 2,4-D, which persists in soil and manure and can kill garden plants.

It could also be a virus, such as CMV or one or the others. The mottling of the leaf color sounds like it could be, but there are quite a few people who have been learning the 2,4-D lesson the hard way.

How long have they been in their current soil/manure mixture? If they've been in their pots for weeks and this is just starting, it probably isn't an herbicide issue. However, if it's only been a few days since they were transplanted, I would wonder about 2,4-D contamination of the soil and/or the manure.

o

its been weeks. theyre a few feet tall and loaded with tomatoes. the fertilizer is supposed to be natural though

o

It seems like watering every 2 days for 15 gallon pots is a bit often. That said, I don't know how much water you apply at one time.

So, how do you decide when to water?

Any chance of posting pictures?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here