Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thirsty_az

Tomato Yellow Leaf Curl Virus (TYLCV) vs. Mg deficiency?? (pics)

thirsty_az
15 years ago

OK, i'm trying to keep my spirits up here, but i think i have a problem. after much deliberation it's come down to tomato yellow leaf curl virus vs Mg deficiency. i'm still open to other ideas too, dont hesitate to offer advice.

I'm having problems with my campbells and marglobe toms presently. so far large red cherry, cherokee purple, sweet 100 and yellow pear seem unaffected.

3 days ago I noticed slight yellowing on new growth. (some plants had prior leaf curl with no other obvious problems that i attributed to watering stress) i gave a light helping of fish emulsion with seaweed. today problem seems worse. after researching extensively and tomato problem solving pic comparisons, i decided to take the advice from this thread here:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0310184424

798.html

I applied a standard serving of 24-12-17 with micronutrients + 1TBS Epsom salt to each affected plant.

after researching further i read that TYLCV is found in this area (phoenix metro) and also vectored by whitefly (which we have a few). and also affects peppers... (which we have couple with weird leaves)

so... i hope for the best and fear the worst. here are some pics to go along. we've kept detailed logs of watering/fertilzing etc... i can answer any ?s

One thing that leans me toward Mg def. besides hope is that we started from seed and haven't given any supplemental epsom salt. (lacking a soil test I know this isn't very helpful). we do have sweet potato plants growing but haven't notice any whiteflies on them believe it or not. they had some on them during the winter in the house though which we got rid of.

any ideas or a word of encouragement would be helpful. pics follow...thanks for any help :)

how soon should i start noticing improvement if nutrient def. for Mg?

sorry for the large image size dialup folks...

and a shot of a marconi pepper with weird leaf structure...

Comments (5)