Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help IDing Problem with Tomato Start Leaves

Posted by youliveandyoulearn Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 2, 11 at 20:37

I am looking for some help with figuring out what is wrong with my tomato starts. They are about a month old and are in 2 inch pots. They are being raised indoors under lights and are being bottom watered. I can no find no sign of any major pest problem. They were looking wonderful until today I noticed several of them have developed some pretty bad looking areas on their leaves. The worst leaves have turned a blackish-grey color and become crispy. I'm including a photo. I have other tomato starts of different ages which are mostly fine, but a few are showing the same symptoms. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Image link: Need Help IDing Problem with Tomato Start Leaves (59 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help IDing Problem with Tomato Start Leaves

Hey, I'm not an expert, but here is my best guess: the leaves appear to have completely lost their green color before turning grey. This could be due to losing chlorophyll, due to magnesium deficiency. How soon before you move them outside?
Maybe artificial light is bad for the chloroplasts too.

o
RE: Need Help IDing Problem with Tomato Start Leaves

Hi.

It looks like an over-watering/drainage problem. Let the soil dry out between waterings. Stick your finger in the soil and, if it's still damp, don't water. Only water if the soil is dry.

Tomato plants don't like continuous moisture and soggy roots. Plus, too much moisture can lead to other problems with seedlings, like damping off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here