Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What should we spray tomato plants with to prevent diseases and i

Posted by sharonie 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 14, 13 at 21:54

Hi I read somewhere last season about a couple of products that should be used early and on a regular basis to keep tomato plants healthy. Can someone give recommendations? Thanks, Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What should we spray tomato plants with to prevent diseases a

In order to answer your question, we need to know which diseases you're plants are likely to get in your area, also which ones you're trying to manage.

In general, preventive sprays aren't used.

Instead, action may be required at the very first hint of a problem. But, again, that problem must first be identified.

o
RE: What should we spray tomato plants with to prevent diseases a

Spray leaves (underside also) once a week with fish/seaweed emulsion (from an organic gardening store). Put a tsp or so in a spray bottle with water.
Also get a good tomato food and sprinkle a capful around the base once every week or so, before watering. Or you can mix w/ water in watering can. Some people use organic tomato food, some like Miracle-Gro, Hasta-Gro, etc.
This year, I also started spraying a fungicide/insecticide/miticide on everything because in recent years the entire garden gets destroyed by stink/leaf-footed bugs, spider mites, and some kind of blight or wilt. Using organic AND non-organic to cover both bases. So we'll see if this helps in the long run.
But of course wait til you see signs before you start treating, and do some research to make sure of what you're dealing with. So it's not really a preventive thing, but you have to try to nip the issues in the bud before they get a lot worse.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here