Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aliceinvirginia

Aphids and thinning stems

aliceinvirginia
15 years ago

I had an aphid problem last fall because I brought some eggplants and peppers inside when trying to overwinter them.

I did my indoor garden in the same part of the house, but with a 3 month gap after trashing last years plants.

First I found that the radishes tucked in a corner were covered in aphids. Then I found that the new tomato transplants also are accumulating aphids. I tried a couple rounds of washing them off. Now I am trying to use a small paintbrush to knock them off. Only a few leaves at the bottom are being affected.

These plants are in 5" pots and are now growing past 6" tall.

I started them out in 3" pots, with 4 seeds each. I snipped off the two smallest seedlings, and then separated the two strongest ones. Dunno if that ruined e. the roots. Then planted them at the absolute bottom of the pot.

I mixed my own soil, similar to the "Al's mix" in the container forum. However, I had watered the ingredients to get them to mix well. And I left them sitting in a container without drainage for a month or so.

Now I see that all the stems are getting dark going from the soil up. The stems are about half the thickness, and go from being pale green to darker than the leaves.

Am I getting a late case of damping off? Do I need to do any sterilization? I just bought some Hydrogen Peroxide, and thought I might use it as part of a spray on the next batch of seedlings.

I tried searchign the forums but the search links didn't appear to be working.

Thanks,

Alice

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor