Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joekun

Brown stem (pics)

joekun
18 years ago

I'm new to growing tomatoes. I planted a Beefsteak tomato plant in a large pot last week and now the stem is turning brown. I'm just at a loss as to what is causing this, I don't believe I've over or under watered it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Please look at my pictures at the link below.

Thanks!

-Joel

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures

Comments (5)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Joel,

All I see when I go to your page is that you are in zone 10 but not where you garden and the fact that you just joined GW yesterday. And knowing where someone is can be important in understanding what might be going on if it's a disease.

But let me ask you this first.

Was this a purchased plant and if so how big was the plant and did you see that the main stem was brown when you bought it or has that occurred only since you planted it in a container.

And what is the mix in the container?

Carolyn

• joekun
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm not sure where to put in that additional info, but I'm in Los Angeles (I added that to my optional zone info so hopefully that's the right place to put it). I purchased this plant, and the browning of the stem has only occurred in the past few days (maybe since Saturday or Sunday). It was about 9"-12" tall when purchased. I put it in the pot on Sunday, April 9th. All I'm using in the container is Kellogg Patio Plus Outdoor Potting Soil. It contains worm castings, kelp meal, bat guano, & chicken manure. I put about 2" of medium sized river rock in the bottom for better drainage.

Thanks!

• jean001
    18 years ago

Some bad news about those rocks in the bottom.

Contrary to popular opinion, they don't improve drainage. Instead, drainage is impeded. (It's a matter of soil physics.)

So, for future reference, forgett the rocks.

• doodlepug
    17 years ago

Joel, how are your stems doing? where in LA did you buy your tomato plant? One of my plants is a little brown also, and I notice we're in the same zone area. Hope they're better!

But, what can cause browing? Is it overwatering, or poor drainage? Disease?

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

But, what can cause browing? Is it overwatering, or poor drainage? Disease?

There are many reasons why a stem may turn brown.

Rotting from too much water is one.

Bad drainage is another.

And there are several diseases that can cause it as well, but the precise distribution of the browing on the stems needs to be known as to spots, the whole stem and more.

One of the diseases that can cause specific spots on the stems is pretty much only found in CA and it's called Alternaria Stem Canker.

Look for problem Solver #2 thread here on the first page, then look for the link to TAMU and take a look and see if you can match up symptoms.

Carolyn