Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
soil disease question

Posted by yaquigrande KS 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 23:40

It's been said here and elsewhere not to plant tomatoes in the same spot year after year because of the possibility of soil diseases particular to tomatoes. How localized will the diseases be? In other words, how far from the previous spot do I have to plant my new tomato plants?

Thank you.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I searched for the answer here but could not find it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: soil disease question

Hi - the need to rotate tomato crops depends on how much room you have. Commercial growers with large field grown tomato acres sometimes rotate but it isn't nearly as common a practice as it used to be since we now have many resistant varieties of tomatoes.

Home gardeners often don't have the space to rotate and honestly, even if we do have the room, many of us don't do it. Instead we amend the bed with lots of compost and the beneficial organisms it contains each year to control diseases. The exception is if you had a really bad case of soil borne fungus disease such as black rot or stem rot in the previous year. Since many of the common tomato diseases are airborne, rotation doesn't help prevent them much.

But if you have the room to rotate to a new location it sure can't hurt to move them 6-8 feet away. Just depends on the room you have.

I have linked many of the previous discussions on this question for you below if you wish to review them.

Enjoy your garden! ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato rotation discussions...

o
RE: soil disease question

Thank you! It did not occur to me to search for "rotation"!
I am learning lots from the tomato rotation discussions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here