Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luv_figs

leaf curl virus or not?

luv_figs
13 years ago

ttp://picasaweb.google.com/luvfigs/Plants?feat=directlink

Hi guys,

The above link will take you to my tomato pictures. Look at the series title t1-t5. All but one of those tomatoes have curled/folded leaves. I can't tell if this is a virus or a nutrient deficiency.

The potting mix is 50% cactus/tropical mix from home depot, and 50% perlite. I water every 3 days or so, or when the top 1.5 inches are dry. What's wierd is that ever since i transplanted my plants into the large containers, they stopped growing. You will see the purple veins, stunted growth, and the upright side stems.

Strangely enough, the tomato seedlings that i haven't transplanted are more healthy than the ones i did transplant, which is leading me to believe that the problem is the soil and not a virus.

I thought maybe that the soil's ph was too low, so i added some lime to it. And no, i don't plan on testing the soil, i've spent a ton of money on my garden and have to stop.

Also, I've been getting mushroom growth in those pots too. Is that a sign that the soil is too water retentive?

So what do you guys think it is?

Thanks!

J

Comments (3)

• jean001
    13 years ago

Not a virus. Tough to say what it might be without more images.

Can you post a larger image? Also one of overall the plant?

• jean001
    13 years ago

oops. That response was for a different thread.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    13 years ago

You live in a waaaay different climate than I, and you have different disease and environmental pressures. :-)

That said, I don't think they look too bad; they may just be pouting from being transplanted. The lime won't hurt anything. It may not be necessary, but I know folks who add lime to their containers with no problem.

It's been a few days. How do they look now?