Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Damping off? (Pictures)

Posted by tatercutter 4 (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 0:21

I bought a 4-Pack of "Big Beef" toms that were 4"-5" at the local garden shop and potted them immediately when I got home. The next day 2 of them began yellowing and wilting while the other 2 stayed strong and green.
I found the wilted ones had a 3/4"-1" hollow spot in the stem right at the soil line. I read that Fusarium starts in the roots and travels up the stem but the roots look good as far as I can tell.
There was white stuff in the stem that looks like fungus to me but I've only been gardening a couple of years so I don't really know.
I've heard of "damping off". Is that a disease or is it too "damp"? Is this a fungus?
The other 2 from the 4-pack are doing wonderfully now 15 days later and I've been hardening them for the garden for the last 4-5 days. Should I do anything to protect them from the same fate or would they be safe now?
Thanks for your help. This site has been a god-send to a novice such as myself!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Autopsy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Damping off? (Pictures)

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 2:14

Can't view your images. Says "404 Not found"

o
RE: Damping off? (Pictures)

Thanks for letting me know the link was dead.
This one should work.

I changed the name of the link from Autopsy to Root-ectomy because the top rooted fine in some water and I replanted it today. Big Beef lives! lol

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Root-ectomy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here