Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help identify tomato leaf spots?

Posted by echo_of_eve WA (My Page) on
Tue, May 25, 10 at 1:03

Hi, I'm new to gardening and new to the forum. I bought a couple of nice looking tomato plants from an old guy at our local farmer's market two weeks ago. One was a Cherokee Purple, and one was a Sweet 100 cherry tomato. The Cherokee purple looks great.

Problem is, I started noticing about a week ago some darker green looking spots on the mature leaves of the Sweet 100. My first thought was that it was blight and I should pitch it immediately... but it doesn't LOOK like the pictures of blight that I see online. The leaves have slowly gotten more spots, but the spots died. There's no discoloration other than the dead spots.

Note on the image: there's no white on the leaves, that's just reflection from the flash that you see.

http://img638.imageshack.us/i/img0988d.jpg/
http://img179.imageshack.us/i/img0981nz.jpg/

If anyone could identify this, tell me if I should rip out the plant or if not, how to treat it, I would be greatly appreciative. I have no idea what I'm doing, and no one to teach me how to garden. :/

Image link: Please help identify tomato leaf spots? (58 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help identify tomato leaf spots?

This doesn't look like a disease and, you're right, it's definitely not blight.

Looks like insect damage to me.

o

I agree with Lionheart... looks like snail damage to me... they have a rasping mouthpart that can do this. The sweet 100 is a tough plant to begin with. And one of my favorite cherries.

o

Hi guys, thanks for the "not-blight" info, I will refrain from ripping it out and burning it.

One note, it's possible that it had snails before I bought it, but I didn't notice spots when I bought it, then it sat in my house for a week, with me checking on it every day (no snails or bugs) and i started to notice those spots developing. They started out darker green, and then eventually became the sunken, dried, brown spots that you see in the photos. Does that help any?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 2:17

Nothing ate the tissue. Instead the cells collapsed due to a cultrual/environemental glitch.

As a starter list consider these: Perhaps not hardened off enough; windy; to warm; inadequate water; root damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here