Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasminehearted

TMV virus?! Can I save them?

jasminehearted
10 years ago

Hello,

This is my first year growing plants from seed so I'm very disappointed to see the tomatos I slaved over since January looking so poorly. I grew them inside until they were far too big and leggy (didn't plan for them to grow so fast) and then put them outside in a bed I just dug up and prepared this year.

Last week I went to look at them and they were COVERED In aphids and little white bugs so I sprayed them with incecticial soap. That mostly solved that, but now I feel concerned that they have TMV because they are sort of mottled and curled. The mottling is not extreme, it is yellowish and the leaves curl under (inward). The new growth seems a little better. In the same bed I have a variety of heirloom (from my grandmother from Spain) peppers which I would be very sad to lose. They don't seem affected by the same symptoms. There are also dahlia bulbs, hostas, and some gladiolas in there as well that all look perfectly healthy.

I also have peppers far off in another bed that aren't in contact with these tomatos but do seem sort of wrinkly and stunted.

I'm wondering if this is due to the fluctuating Virginia weather which has bounced from 80-50 on and off for weeks now and has been coupled with a great deal of rain. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

If this is TMV can I ever plant tomatoes/peppers here again or is it in the soil and going to spread and kill/infect everything I plant here? I worked so hard digging up this bed and growing these plants, I'll be sad to lose the whole lot of them!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath