Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
TMV virus?! Can I save them?

Posted by jasminehearted 8 (My Page) on
Thu, May 16, 13 at 8:43

Hello,

This is my first year growing plants from seed so I'm very disappointed to see the tomatos I slaved over since January looking so poorly. I grew them inside until they were far too big and leggy (didn't plan for them to grow so fast) and then put them outside in a bed I just dug up and prepared this year.

Last week I went to look at them and they were COVERED In aphids and little white bugs so I sprayed them with incecticial soap. That mostly solved that, but now I feel concerned that they have TMV because they are sort of mottled and curled. The mottling is not extreme, it is yellowish and the leaves curl under (inward). The new growth seems a little better. In the same bed I have a variety of heirloom (from my grandmother from Spain) peppers which I would be very sad to lose. They don't seem affected by the same symptoms. There are also dahlia bulbs, hostas, and some gladiolas in there as well that all look perfectly healthy.

I also have peppers far off in another bed that aren't in contact with these tomatos but do seem sort of wrinkly and stunted.

I'm wondering if this is due to the fluctuating Virginia weather which has bounced from 80-50 on and off for weeks now and has been coupled with a great deal of rain. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

If this is TMV can I ever plant tomatoes/peppers here again or is it in the soil and going to spread and kill/infect everything I plant here? I worked so hard digging up this bed and growing these plants, I'll be sad to lose the whole lot of them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: TMV virus?! Can I save them?

Here is a higher resolution picture of a close up of the leaves. I know it's hard to see, but some of the leaves are quite curled and some are ok. some go up, some curl down.

o
RE: TMV virus?! Can I save them?

Curling could be combo of aphid damage & environmental. Don't see the typical distortion &/or discoloration that may accompany virus problems.

At this time, don't do anything drastic. But "do" keep up w/ the search-and-destroy for aphids.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here