Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_abbott

black krim stems drying out

Ellen-Abbott
9 years ago

Maybe I posted this on the wrong forum...
Three of four black krim heritage tomato plants about 14" tall have had the bottom 3" or 4" of the stems turn brown and dry causing the plant to bend about an inch or so above the ground and fall over. The first one was a couple of weeks ago and it had been a very windy day and I attributed it to the wind. Last Monday we left for a few days and the other plants were healthy. When we returned Wednesday, two more were dried out and bent over (see photo) but unlike the first one, the foliage was not wilted. I dug one up and it had healthy roots and healthy looking foliage. I dug the second one up and potted both of them in deep pots, covering the dried out stems section and also a section of healthy stem hoping it would stimulate root production. Today, the following Friday, the tops still look healthy though it was overcast all day yesterday. My local tomato 'expert' has no idea what is causing this. Any suggestions? All the other varieties of tomato plants, some hybrids, some heritage, planted at the same end of the garden are unaffected so far.