Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Applying Fungicides

Posted by edspangler none (espangler5@charter.net) on
Mon, May 6, 13 at 11:17

I began having problems with my tomato plants a couple years ago, so this year I decided to visit my local Ag Agent, first thing he had me do is get my garden soil tested , i did, he viewed the results ,said it was fine and just to use 10-10-10 fertilizer at initial planting. Then he suggessted I buy plants that were disease resistant, so at his advice I bought Parks Whoppers tomato plants for my garden, also for my daughter who does not have room for a garden , I planted patio variety tomato plants in 5 gallon containers that were drilled for drainage and used Planting MIX not soil in those. Now, where the questions arise, the Ag Agent has over 50 years in the business and probably "Assumes" a certain amount of knowledge on my part using chemicals, however I have NEVER used them before. He told me to buy 2 different Fungicides and apply one every 2 weeks alternating brand /type, he also said after heavy rain to apply.He said to get Fungo-Nil and Mancozeb, I did.
So...heres my questions.
1.) Plants have been in ground and daughters containers for 2 weeks, we have had 2 very rainy weekends already, do I need to begin applying Fungicides NOW? Or wait a few more weeks?
2.) Exactly how do I need to apply ( I Know by spraying) do I apply the fungicides? heavily? I presume to apply when not windy etc.
3.) Do I apply to tomatos growing on plants or try and avoid direct application to tomatos?
4.) If I have applied the Fungicides to plants and a tomato ripens, should I wait a few days before harvesting as a safety measure?
5.) How do you clean the Tomatos before eating ??
6..) is there a point in the growing season when you stop application of the Fungicides.Here in East Tennessee, I have had Tomatos thru September in the past.
7.) if heavy Rain is forecast only a few days after scheduled application... is it OK to wait a couple days after the routine schedule and just apply after the rain?
8.) What else have I forgotten to ask? Addittional thoughts or suggesstions, as you may glean, I am willing to use the chemicals, but want to be very sparing and cautious in their application and very carefull to clean the tomatos before eating.
Thanks Everyone for all the wonderful advice I know I will receive!!
Ed Spangler
East Tennessee

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here