Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help - Tomato Seedlings Sick!

Posted by CaptAndy Jersey Shore (My Page) on
Wed, May 4, 11 at 11:35

I have started my seedlings from a Gurney's seed starter kit. This consists of deep peat pots seated in a styrofoam tray which floats on water, hence wicking the water from below and the roots come through the bottom and bathe in the water tray.

It was recommended that i begin a feeding solution after the true leaves appear. I put a solution as suggested on the miracle gro plant food label for inside plants. I am now beginning to realize this solution might be over doing it and could be the cause of my plants demise. The leaves began turning yellow and their growth came to a stop. Now a lot of leaves are curling up and have begun shriveling and dying,while the entire plants are flopping over. They also have not received a lot of sun over the past week as its been cloudy.

My solution so far is to back off the water dump the solution and let the very wet peat pots breathe. I have moved them down to the basement and placed them under growlights as well in order to hopefully save them. Please offer any other comments suggestions in order to get some life back in these babies.

Image link: Help - Tomato Seedlings Sick! (38 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help - Tomato Seedlings Sick!

Yes, you need a very weak solution of fertilizer for the plants, but they probably needed some fertilizer.

Sorry, the picture quality isn't too good (i take photos like that myself, lol), but I don't see normal fertilizer damage, which would include drying and crisping on the outside edges of the leaves.

My first suspicion is that you might be overwatering. Actually, I feel pretty confident that is what is happening. I know that peat pots dry out fast and it's tempting to want to keep them moist to downright soggy, but I would let the soil get dry in between waterings. Tomatoes really hate too much water. They hate having wet feet due to sogginess.

If the roots are coming through it's time to get them out of the water. Do not leave them in water. You may want to transplant them into a larger container with potting mix (not topsoil or garden soil) or put them into the ground if they are ready. Water them only when the soil has dried out. Stick your finger in the soil a few inches down; if it's still moist, don't water.

It's okay that it has been cloudy and they have been deprived of sunny skies. That should not cause any problems.

They don't look too bad and should recover when they've had a chance to dry out for a few days or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here