Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlisaiah4319

Soil Issue or Disease?

Dlisaiah4319
9 years ago

Hello everyone!
I'm a second year gardener and I'm struggling to identify what is making my tomatoes unhappy. I've uploaded some photos to help - I've searched the internet to find similar pictures and hopefully identify the problem, but I'm not having any luck. I built a garden bed last year and filled it with good quality garden soil. Very early in the spring I added approximately 4 cubic feet of miracle-gro garden soil which is meant to improve existing soil.

I planted a cherry tomato plant and an heirloom tomato plant a few weeks ago without hardening them off. (Now I know!) So when the bottom leaves started to turn a little brown I just assumed it was sun/wind burn. Unfortunately though, it hasn't stopped - now the bottom leaves are withered and the top leaves are starting to show some spots. The marigolds I planted near the tomatoes also have some black leaves and spots. However, the marigolds on the other side of the bed and the green bean seedling near them seem to be doing very well. There are banana pepper plants near the tomatoes which also seem to be ok - a few tears that I think are just wind damage.

I plan to buy a soil test kit tonight, but any other suggestions / advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you so much & have a wonderful day!

Here is a link that might be useful: More Photos of the Garden

Comments (2)