Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrigan_gw

Two plants, two problems

corrigan
16 years ago

It seems to me that I've had every single tomato problem on the planet in this first garden of mine! I have clearly done something very wrong, I guess, but one Cherokee purple has three of the largest tomatoes I've ever seen in my life on it - and they're still getting bigger! - and my two sickly Homesteads are already loaded up with over 40 tomatoes between the two of them, so I guess I haven't completely ruined everything, lol.

Anyway, my problems.... I have a yellow pear that is planted alongside a Mr. Stripey and a Cherokee Purple. The yellow pear looks all spindly and the leaves are tiny. They aren't the shoe string leaves I've seen for one virus (CMV?), they're just really tiny. The other two plants in that bed look fine. They were all just put in the bed a couple weeks ago.

My other problem is that another Cherokee Purple in a different bed is growing beautifully, but just in the last 10 days I noticed some of the leaves started getting a purplish/black tint along the edges and some mottling of the same color here and there on the leaves. Aside from some pretty serious blossom drop for the last couple weeks, the plant has been doing fairly well for an amateur, I think. It only has 4 tomatoes on it, but they're all pretty big and the latest blossoms seem to be hanging on tight. The leaves don't have any yellowing and don't look burned/brown at all - just purple/black mottling and edges on a few of them. Is this something I should be concerned about? (I never know - my husband thinks I worry too much about every little spot.)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional