Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice

Posted by srburk z9TX (My Page) on
Fri, May 19, 06 at 12:10

My cherry tomato has leaves on the inside and the bottom that are yellowing, and then turning brown. Sometimes they do this all at once, and then sometime from the tip in. There are no spots, and no "target" pattern. I have searched through TAMU's pics and see nothing exactly like except the pictures of verticillum wilt, but the fruit isn't stunted and it seems unlikely in a Husky Red Cherry.

How likely is it that this is a fungal disease vs. leaf age? I water by hand, so the only times the leaves are wet is when it rains.

Should I treat with a organic fungicide as a "just in case" manuever, or leave it alone? I am religious about checking the water level, so I don't think it's stress. The plant is huge..almost five feet tall and four feet wide. It's getting new stakes this weekend. It gets seaweed extract spray once a week and cornmeal once a month, and compost as it requires. Only thing it's been sprayed with is BT (I had a bumper crop of hornworms.).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice

I did find your same question in the Tomato pest and Disease Forum ( link at the top of this page for folks who don't iknow about it) and was going to answer there, but upon rereading your post I don't think it's a disease problem at all. And I wouldn't do anything to your plants.

You've mentioned no wilting, no distinct spots on the leaves and so I think it's just normal drop off of foliage due to perhaps high heat. Leaves in the interior of heavy foliage often will do that.

And while I'm here, there aren't many of us who have the time to answer questions in the Tomato pest and Disease Forum these days.

I love to try and solve problems and will try to get over there today, but I just wanted to share with others who might be reading this that in a week or so I go in for surgery and thus won't be posting for perhaps three weeks.

Hopefully some others with knowledge of diseases will take up the slack.

And I urge anyone with possible pest or disease problems to post there. We lobbied long and hard to get Spike to put up that Forum and it's so much better to have all such posts in one place so that searches can be done, so that backposts can be read, and so that folks can use Problem Solver #2.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here