Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato pest -

Posted by g8shot1 NY (My Page) on
Sun, May 23, 10 at 12:41

Hi,

We are very new at all of this - we are growing onions, garlic (planted last fall), peppers, cilantro, basil, and carrots, they are all doing well.

We also have six tomato plants. A couple of them have recently developed some holes in the lower leaves. Today I found this:
http://www.jmd.org/garden/DSC04747.JPG
and
http://www.jmd.org/garden/DSC04749.JPG

What is this beast and is there anything organic that can deter them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato pest -

o
RE: Tomato pest - AHA

Clavate Tortoise Beetle - Now to find how to get rid of them in a somewhat natural way. They are not supposed to be here.....

Any advice?

o
RE: Tomato pest - Last one

The answer is Rotenone specifically lists the tortoise beetle - I'll give it a try soon.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 10 at 2:18

How many do you have? If only a few, physically remove, squish, or flick into soapy water and skip the rotenone.

o

I have a pest that's similar but not the same. Zone 5, north of Toronto. Starte with yellow leaves, then holes in leaves, then holes in green leaves, then lower leaves die and progresses up the plant. In patio pots, Sunrise variety. Second yeaer of this in my patio pots. I've seardhed Google images and all over Garden Web and haven't seen this pest. Plese help! I miss having good tomatoes. They still grow but don't mature properly and are very bland tasting. Anything you guys can tell me will help! TIA

o

I have a pest that's similar but not the same. Zone 5, north of Toronto. Starte with yellow leaves, then holes in leaves, then holes in green leaves, then lower leaves die and progresses up the plant. In patio pots, Sunrise variety. Second yeaer of this in my patio pots. I've seardhed Google images and all over Garden Web and haven't seen this pest. Plese help! I miss having good tomatoes. They still grow but don't mature properly and are very bland tasting. Anything you guys can tell me will help! TIA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here