Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wolfemacleod

Tomato problems - several - first timer

wolfemacleod
13 years ago

This is my first foray into gardening, and I'm not sure what is going on. I've read and read, and have seen several explanations...and contradicting stuff.

Over watering? Not enough water? This deficiency or that deficiency...even my local nursery has told me different things.

First - I'm in Seattle. It has just started to warm up here.

I've got about 40 tomato plants here. I figure out of that many, I should get at least one. A few Early Girls, Beefsteak, Roma....

People post pictures of thier leaves.. blurry pictures, that is, so you really can't tell what's going on.

On one, I'm getting some pretty heavy brown spos on the leaves. Now they're startign to crack or split around the spots. And a few leaves are starting to curl.. donward, into a spiral.

On another, I've got leaves turning very yello.

On another, I've got leaves folding.. and crumbling/browning around the edges.

Another's leaves are turning a whitish... sort of "powdery" look...

I have plants who's veins on the underside of leaves are turnign purple. And stalks, too...

I have plants that I started from seed that are not growing...they got tall and "leggy" and stoped there, at about 6-8 inches tall...

All of my larger plants were bougth from a local nursery. The biggest problem one (brown spots and cracking) started within a couple days of purchase.

I originally planted seeds in Miracle Grow.

I am using Dr. Earth furtilizer and mulch.

I have seen watering answers ranging from "water them a lot" to "water them a little"

I'm not sure what is going on here. Am I giving them too much fertilizer? The Dr. Earth liquid container says only every few weeks. The Nursery says "frequently"

I bring them out when it's been warm and sunny. Otherwise, they're under grow light in the garage.

I have uploaded some pictures to a directory on my site here: http://www.wolfetone.com/tomato

Anyone in Seattle want to come take a look and tell me what I'm doign wrong?

Comments (3)