Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahvega_gw

Pruning advice for squirrel-damaged tomato vines?

sarahvega
13 years ago

I have some tomato vines that I have kept pruned with one (main) stem, taking off the suckers every few days. Some squirrels have been messing with both the tomatoes and the actual vine, stripping the branches off and chewing the main stem. 3 of my 4 vines have had the top foot or so of the main stem chewed off. These were about 5-6 ft before the squirrel damage. I know this is where the vine growth was happening, and now the vines are just kind of sitting there, not growing anything new or old around the top.

For now, I've let the suckers start growing, since I don't see how else the vine can grow to make new blossoms and tomatoes. I haven't grown tomatoes in a long time, and I don't remember how things work. Would the older part of the main stem ever get new blossom buds - or is the old stem only good for supporting new vine growth now? Is the new growth the only place where I will ever see new blossoms?

I'm starting some more tomato plants, and this time I'm thinking I shouldn't try to prune to one stem since the squirrels will keep doing damage. I'm mainly concerned about how to prune or not prune to get the best production overall.