Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
protecting tomato plants

Posted by sgginer Texas (My Page) on
Tue, May 20, 08 at 13:23

I have an organic garden.

What plants should I plant by a tomato plant to keep bugs and tomato diseases under control?

Thanks

Glenn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: protecting tomato plants

I have heard that marigolds are good for this. I have not tried it yet myself, but several of my friends who are gardener have suggested marigolds to keep bugs away. I am not sure about diseases.

o

I was told Basil and Dill help keep the pests away too.

o

To me marigolds attract insects but at least that keeps them away for your crops. I really think most companion planting is for taste or the plants are attractors that pull the insects to them.

Basil affects taste.

Read this site: http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

I think it is right on target with most info.

Here's some more:

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/lib2/complant.htm

After having been active in a community garden for the last 3 years that is located in an open field, I've come to the conclusion that surrounding the garden with herbs and then having strategic herb plantings in different spots inside the beds keeps the bugs to a minimium. (Not counting stink bugs....I'm working on that specific combination still) Of course you have to keep the beds clean and be reactive when they do show up but we really have only had small problems except for the stink bugs. It pays to research the bugs favorite foods too. Some bugs like chocolate cake and some like ice cream....know your enemy and see what farmers use as trap crops.

Good luck

o

Hello! I see you are interested in starting to grow your own tomato plants. With tomato plants, there a couple of points to take into consideration, first of; Tomato plants are attractive towards many different pests. Tomato cutworms are usually in abundance in the early seasons. You can buy specific sprays and deterrents online and in your local gardening store. It is always best to be aware of different pests trying to eat your tomato plants. Horn worms, flea's, beetles, Aphis and psyliids are all different types of pests. Although I cannot assist you in choosing the right plant to have alongside your tomato plant, I specialize in treating pests and ensuring that your plants grow and prosper without constant threat of insects. For more information visit our website!

Here is a link that might be useful: pest r us

This post was edited by PEST.R.Us on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 11:02

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here