Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazylady_gw

healthy tomato wilting from top down

lazylady
18 years ago

Plant green and VERY healthy appearing, about 3ft. tall. Started wilting at tips of a couple branches Sunday. Is becoming more pronounced and moving down branch toward stem. Is close to five other plants which are not affected yet. I've searched, can't find any info. Can someone help?

Comments (7)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Are the leaves remaining green on the wilted portions or turning yellow?

And lesions/spots on those leaves?

What varieties are you growing and which ones are affected?

When you said you did a search what were you thinking it might be?

Carolyn

• lazylady
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Carolyn. I was thinking "wilt",fungus, root??..The wilt on top is still green. These are Better Boys. No spots, bugs. After your questions I got down at ground level and found yellowed dry leaves underneath on the back side and a portion of the stem about six inches above ground is brownish and softened. The stem below that area is still green and firm going into the ground.Guess I can write this one off. Any ideas on cause?

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

A few possibilities for leaves that wilt and show no yellowing, although that's still to be seen as I see it:

Bacterial Wilt, and when you read about this you'll see that there's an easy test for you to do to make a Diagnosis.

Southern Blight, but you'd expect to find lesions on the stem near the soil line,

Verticillium b/c sometimes it stops before leaves turn yellow and the plants grow out of it.

Carolyn

• DeBPrpht
    18 years ago

I have a plant that started wilting,(about 5 days ago) as if it had not been watered. After the second day of wilting I watered it (about 16oz.) The next day it seemed to pick up!
    Now it is again wilting & the plant next to it! One leaf on the plant next to it also has a "blotch" on a leaf.

Should I spray with Daconil, up-root the plant, pray or do all three LOL!

Keep The Spirit of 1776!

DeBPrpht

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Now it is again wilting & the plant next to it! One leaf on the plant next to it also has a "blotch" on a leaf.
    Should I spray with Daconil, up-root the plant, pray or do all three LOL!

Would you be good enough to start a new thread with your tomato problem b'c posting within another thread hides it and so folks, myself included, don't see it.

And any updates would be most welcome.

Carolyn

• HU-882409878
    3 years ago

Tommy b, I had about same problem, had full grown plants with hugh stems and full of tomatoe, starting wilting on top and continued wilting down plant, finally pulled green tomatoes, pulled up plant, all roots were white and not rotten, no leaves turned brown, or spots , replanted several times they all have done same thing, even put some in pots, I’m puzzled

• Marishka Usacheva
    3 years ago

I have the same thing going on! Can’t figure out what is it?

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure