Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjozh

tomato - curly stem and leaf

pjozh
13 years ago

I planted small tomato plants 1 month ago (all under 1 foot tall). Within a few days of planting one plant (Celebrity) looked very strange - the leaves and stem were curling. Over the next 2 weeks the other plants grew well, but the curly one didn't seem to grow at all. At that point I found that the curly plant and 2 or three others had several tiny white grasshopper looking bugs (aphids or whiteflys?) on them. I also noticed that some of the other plants were beginning to get curly at the top as well. I did some research and suspected that the curly plant might have a virus that can be spread by the bugs, so I immediately pulled up the original curly plant. As for the other plants, I removed the bugs with a lint-roller and sprayed them with Organocide (which claims to kill insects and fungus). The bugs were back 2 days later, so I resprayed (altho the directions say not to re-treat until 2 weeks later). It's been 2 days since then and there aren't very many bugs now. The plants do not seem to be getting worse.

I am posting a link to photos of the plant (Jet Star) currenlty exibiting the worse symptoms. One area near the top is very curly - like a pig tail. Some leaves are curling all the way up and some are curling back. However, most of the leaves near the bottom look pretty normal - they are barely cupped up and there were 2 leaves that were heavily eaten and yellow (I pulled them off). Other than those 2 leaves near the bottom, there are no discolored leaves.

The leaves and stem seem to be normal thickness and texture.

I have been watering via a drip system, one hour in the morning and one in the evening - the setting from the end of last summer that I forgot to change, I just cut back to 1/2 hour in the morning. I'm hoping that these are just symptoms of overwatering, but the fact that the problem seemed isolated for a while, then spread with the presences of bugs makes me concerned that it may be more serious. I would just wait it out and see what happens, but I have very healthy mature plants on my deck (about 100 ft from the garden) and I don't want to risk the garden bugs infecting my beautiful container plants! I would also like to get a fresh crop going asap if my garden plants are beyond repair.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr tomato pics

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!