Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown stem and whitish bumps

Posted by hydrotrout (My Page) on
Wed, May 9, 07 at 14:46

I'm a pretty hopeless newbie, so maybe I should already know what this is, but I need a little help id'ing a problem. I have one Brandywine in the garden. It's about 2 ft tall now. The other tomates I have are all doing just fine. On this one, though, the stem is turning brown at the base, about two to four inches from the ground up. It also has small bumps which are sort of whitish in that area. the rest of the plant seems healthy, although the leaves are more wrinkly than maybe they should be. This is the first time I've grown Brandywine.

Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown stem and whitish bumps

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, May 10, 07 at 0:05

The small bumps are likely root initials.

o

Is that something to worry about? The other tomatoes aren't doing that. The stem seems thinner at the base as well. I have it staked up pretty well, so it's not like it needs to hold up it's own weight or anything, but it seems like it's pretty soft there at the base of the stem.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, May 11, 07 at 1:36

If root initials, nothing to worry about. If that part of the stem were underground, the bumps would develop into roots.

o

I know this thread is over a year old but I am now growing my own brandywines and 4 of them have the same thing going on that is described above. I planted my seedlings root balls a good 6 to 8 inches down...should I just go ahead and pile more topsoil up the base of the plant where it is thinning and turning brown? The rest of the plant looks great just the 2 to 3 inches at the base getting narrower and harder that looks bad.
Isn't there a disease of the phloem that causes it to collapse and therefore cuts off the sugars transported to the roots...the top of the plant looks good for a while but suddenly dies because the roots (which you can't see) were dying all along? If so maybe I need to rip these out to keep others from getting infected...can't seem to find the answer to this anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here