Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
aphids!

Posted by goatster 7bGa (My Page) on
Thu, May 25, 06 at 15:06

Help the aphids are on my tomato plants and sucking the life out of the leaves. Can you suggest a quick home brew to kill them? I tried neem oil but it doesn't seem to be working unless it takes more than 12 hours. They are just glued it seems under the leaves. Not easy to get them off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: aphids!

• Posted by cbars z5b6a MO (My Page) on
    Fri, May 26, 06 at 9:42

You can blast them off with a hose end sprayer or mix up some insecticidal soap and water and spray your plants.

Keep checking them because the aphids will probably come back.

Good luck,

Gary

o

I've a lot of aphids on my tomatoe plants as well.

I tried both organic and chemical spray it just didn't work well. I think I may have to buy several boxes of lady bug.

Anybody have any good idea, please let me know.

o

They don't necessarily fall off just because you kill them. Check a few hours after spraying with a magnifying glass to see how many are still alive. I have had success with neem oil against aphids but am currently using soapy insecticidal spray.

mater

o

I agree with tomatoguy. Check to see if they are dead. Neem oil, as far as I understand, puts them in suspended animation and then they slowly dehydrate. Also, just to be sure, Neem is a contact spray so you have to spray under the leaves. The only aphids I have found Neem oil has problems with are the gray aphids that the ants farm. For them I use strong streams of water and finally pyrethrin. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here