Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duhh_gw

diseased tomato plants or to high ph?

duhh
12 years ago

The bottom branches of my tomato plants have been drying up and the whole branch will then fall off. I am trying to decide if I have a disease going on or is it high ph? I used a soil probe and it said it was at least an 8. I don't know how reliable it is. Top growth does not seem to be affected, they are still flowering and fruiting. Not as much as I had hoped, but are still doing it

These toms are in a raised bed in mels mix compost, peat moss, and vermiculite. and have been in ground for 2-3 months.

I did water some of the tomatoes with a solution of vinegar and water and they seem to be looking better after about 2 days, but wanted to ask others to see if they might think it a disease and not high ph.

My pics are to large to put on here but I posted them on my blog.

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/diseased-tomato-or-just-high-ph.html

Here is a link that might be useful: duhhs blog

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    12 years ago

Don't know why you have such a high pH if in Mel's mix. Perhaps the pH meter is off?

Investigate the soil -- Put a trowel in it. How moist or dry is it? Adjust watering accordingly.

And have you added any fertilizer? If not, do so.

• lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

If you have a local cooperative extension bring soil there for testing.

Most likely, the probe is inaccurate (they tend to be inaccurate). Peat moss alone has a pH of 4.5, and none of the other ingredients have a high pH. I don't know what's in Mel's Mix, but it's probably nothing that would cause pH to go up.

I'm going to assume you're not adding baking soda to the soil on a regular basis. :-)

So let's rule out the soil pH for now. Most yellowing in tomato plants is caused by soggy soil and/or overwatering or a lack of nutrients.

Do not water until the soil is dry a few inches down. Stick your finger down into the soil about 3 inches. If it's dry or almost dry, water; if it's still damp, don't water.

Could the roots be sitting in wet, poorly-drained soil? I know it gets pretty warm and dry where you are and you need to water plants more often. Just make sure they aren't sitting in a pool of water and that the soil drains well and can dry out between waterings.

Next: fertilizer. How often are they fertilized and what kind of fertilizer is used?

The photo of the leaf does not look like disease, but it's difficult to tell off a photo of just one leaf. Photos of other leaves and a "full body shot" of the plant would be more instructive. Are there any strange spots or leaf curling on any of the leaves?

• duhh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am pretty sure I am not over watering them. I have only watered about 1-2x a week and the temps here have been 75-95 or so the past couple of weeks. It keeps going up and down. Before I water, I Usually will dig down a couple inches into the soil to see what it looks like since the top almost always looks dry a day or 2 after watering. It has never been water logged or soggy. It drains really well. I also added mulch a couple weeks ago just a light layer of pine needles(this problem had already started) I also added shade cloth @ about the same time.

I did fertilize them about a month ago or maybe 6 weeks now with BioFlora� Dry Crumbles 6-6-5. At first I thought maybe I over fertilized, but I would think all plants would have shown signs.. .

The leaves and branches are drying up and shriveling until they fall off or I cut them off. Its going from the bottom of the plant to the top.. .

I did water one raised bed with some vinegar water and those plants seem to be doing well. Our water here has a very high ph.

Nope no baking soda has been added:)

Could be lack of nutrients, I bought a pre packaged mels mix from gro-well here in phoenix. Some of my cucumbers are looking a little yellowish and I was wondering if I should fertilize it or not to help it along.. . Just wasn't sure what was going on with the toms and didn't want to mess them up more!

I stayed up late last night trying to figure it out and came across some info on russet mites... I thought maybe that could be it so I took clippings today and looked at them under my nephews microscope... nothing.. It's just confusing me because it doesn't look like anything I can find online.

There aren't strange spots The only curling has been when it's drying up.

I posted some more pics on my blog

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/here-are-some-more-pics-of-plants.html

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/trying-to-post-pic-that-can-be-enlarged.html

Any help is appreciated! I'm going to be gone for a couple days and will feel bad if they all die while my husband is taking care of them!

Here is a link that might be useful: new pic

12 years ago

I see no sign of leaf disease, no sign of herbicide damage. Looks like this is spreading at a pretty good pace.

I'm sorry to say that I think it might be one of the wilting diseases - either fusarium or verticillium. It doesn't matter which one as there's nothing that can be done for them.

Please get a second opinion, as I've never seen either of those diseases in person; only in other threads and other places on the web.

Please check the link below. Plus, you can Google these diseases and read more about them.

Sigh. I hope that's not the problem, but it really does look like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fusarium and Verticillium Wilt Info

12 years ago

According to the University of Arizona, both fusarium and verticillium diseases are uncommon in your area [link below]. You may want to check out the tomato russet mite.

It doesn't look like mite damage to me, but you are in a very different climate/environment with very different pests. Again, I hope someone else chimes in. You've got nothing to lose and might as well get some sulphur to treat for the tomato russet mites.

Hoping for the best.

Here is a link that might be useful: U of AZ

• duhh
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Looked at one of the worst plants today and it has new leaves sprouting toward the bottom of the plant that look beautiful and normal... I had watered this one with a vinegar solution. I checked out the wilts and it just doesn't seem to fit. thanks for all the thoughts! I'll keep looking and get stuff checked out

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!