Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny black bug with wings, please advise

Posted by Orang3 9 california (My Page) on
Fri, May 18, 12 at 15:39

Hi,
There are also small white patches with tiny black specks on my tomato leaves. At first I though the leaves were just "dirty" with soil. But upon further examination it see I'm tiny 1-2 mm long black bugs with wings. The leaves are also slightly curled up, lengthwise like a hot dog. I am growing Brandywine, Purple Cheeroke, Green Zebra and Sungold. The Sungold plant don't seem affect, only the potato leaves. I will work on uploading a picture as soon as I locate my camera...

Is this a serious problem? What can I do?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny black bug with wings, please advise

You may have aphids. There are many kinds; white, black, pink, and green are the colors of those which attack tomatoes. Some life stages have wings, others don't. It is common to see more than one life stage together.
photos of (mostly) black aphids on (mostly) tomatoes

Aphids suck plant juices, stealing energy from the plant.

To get rid of them, you can squish them by hand, wash them off by spraying water (but the splash may knock disease-causing bacteria or spores from the soil onto your plant), spray with a solution containing Neem oil or soybean oil (available at your garden center), or spray with water to which a small amount of mild dish soap (not anything that says "detergent") has been added.

This seems to be the ultimate aphids-on-tomatoes thread:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0518184110959.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here