Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Fruit-worms

Posted by tonynevada (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 17:48

I've been having problems over the past several years with Tomato fruit-worms. Sevin has little or no effect on them. At the suggestion of my county extension, I sprayed the plants with malathion.It worked fine, but I need to know when to be proactive this season with the treatments to avoid an imminent infestation?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Fruit-worms

Of all the tomato pests, including hornworms, I hate fruitworms the most. It gives me the heebie jeebies when you find they've invaded those long-awaited fruits.

Two years ago they really did a number on my tomatoes.

Last year I smartened up and learned that "organic" is not the same as "willful neglect". :-)

I had great success using Garden Safe's Insecticidal Soap at least once a week, with additional applications after rain.

I imagine that Neem Oil products would work also, but I've never tried them.

If you're going to use "real" insecticides like Sevin and malathion, you must be far more careful about how often you apply them. Follow label directions religiously. If they tell you it's safe to reapply after rain (even if only 2 days have passed), do so. Otherwise, wait it out until it's safe to reapply.

For Potassium Salts of Fatty Acids (like the Garden Safe product) or Neem Oil (available under a number of labels), you have more latitude and can safely re-apply after a rain comes along.

Whatever you use, the real secret is to use it regularly and, when safe to do so, reapply after a rain.

o
RE: Tomato Fruit-worms

If you have a tomato that ripens before its peers it may be due to one of these tomato fruitworms eating its way inside. Has anyone tried BT to control them? Here is a link to an article about them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Fruitworms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here