Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsmc83

herbicide or disease?

lindsmc83
9 years ago

I have never had problems with my tomatoes until this year. The stem and leaves are large and thick, and the leaves are dark green, some with purple veins, and curling upwards. Additionally, 2 of the 5 have curling stems and now they have shoots growing off lower stems (not the typical sucker). Also, they are all indeterminate, but 1 has now grown flowers off the growing tip - I must admit, this is weird and I cannot find any info about this. So maybe a a mistake?

Im in CA, 9b, all plants were grown from seed, by me, and I have given multiple plants away of which there are no problems. The plants continue to grow, btw they are heirlooms, they are currently flowering and many are growing tomatoes. However, I had 1 which stopped growing after about a 2 feet tall so I pulled it and threw it away.

Upon doing research I am torn b/t herbicide drift and a mosaic disease. I just cant quite find info/pics that look the exact same. Any information would be very helpful.

Of note, I had one cherry tomato from last yr pop up on my side yard (20ft away) and it is very healthy. Also, other plants growing in the same area (borage, parsley, basil, peppers) are prospering.

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Does look suspiciously like early herbicide damage.

Any chance of the stuff used in your place or nearby?
    Also, what sort of rowing mix are you using? Please be specific re components of growth media.
    Which amendments? And/or manures? And/or compost?

• lindsmc83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There is quite a few I use:

The majority of the soil is clay, so this year I mixed in Kellogg Amend Organic Plus (OMRI listed). This was mixed into the top 6in, 10 bags (2 cu ft per bag) on ~300 sq ft.

Seeds were started in an GreenAll organic potting mix and Neptunes Harvest Organic Fish Seaweed Fertilizer was applied 1x/wk.

Upon transplant, all plants get a tablespoon of Xtreme Gardening Mykos, a handful of GreenAll Organic Soil booster and a cup or so of compost- I make my own compost from bird droppings, aged at least 6mnths. As in birds, I mean parrots (lovebirds, cockatiels, budgies) - it is different I know. This was planted with all my plants this yr including the tomatoes.

I make compost tea using the compost. Aerated for 24hrs, used every 2-3wks.

Also, weed killer was used last year, at least 10mnths ago. But from what I have read it dissipates quickly? The only other idea is that my neighbor on the other side of the fence used some.

Thanks for the help!

This post was edited by lindsmc83 on Wed, May 28, 14 at 1:58

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Thanks for adding all those details. They help but don't provide "the" answer, only suspicions. So let's continue.

Any chance of a close-up view of the most recent growth? Would help rule herbicide either in or out.

What kind of weed killer used 10 months ago? Dissipation time depends upon which herbicide it was.
    Spray or granules? active ingredients?

They're in pots? If so, make yourself a note that says "no soil in pots!" - it screws up drainage.

Anything in your compost that's a grass, straw, or other grassy plant? For instance, bedding for your birds? If yes,consider herbicide carryover then run an easy bioassay which takes about a week of growing time.
    See this
    http://puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/Clopyralid.html

Here is a link that might be useful: carryover, w/ easy bioassay

• lindsmc83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No pots, they are in the ground.

There is not grass in the compost, however, I mulch with grass and found the info on clopralid very interesting. I think tomorrow, to be safe, I will pull off the grass. But again, its really hard for me to assume that is it bc I have used the same ingredients on my whole garden and the tomatoes seem to be the only ones effected. However, I must say that some of the peppers leaves are growing distorted also.

I'm going to do some research on the clopyralid and I'll post new growth pics tomorrow.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

It may affect only the tomatoes because they are *extremely* susceptible to herbicides.

Do the bioassay to know for certain.

This post was edited by jean001a on Fri, May 30, 14 at 23:31

• lindsmc83
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, I am going to do a bioassay including one with the compost and one with the grass mulch.

Also, here are pictures of new growth from yesterday. What I find incredibly interesting is that the weird shoots coming off the limbs look really nice, bc the leaves are normal size and aren't curling. Also, I think the tomatoes look pretty normal. However, on one plant some of the buds are crazy big, like 3x the normal size.