Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherrypicker_gw

TSWV? Pests? Deficiency? Stunted with Spots and Holes

cherrypicker
14 years ago

Hello all, newbie here.

I have made a very serious start to my gardening this year and am disgusted to find that my tomatoes are doing poorly.

I have squash, cucumbers, zucchini, lettuce, and green beans nearby and before they are damaged I want to find out what's going on and what I should do to alleviate the problem. I am using raised 4x8 beds that have been mulched, with some plants potted here and there, like my bell peppers, cherry tomato, and herbs.

So far the tomatoes are the only ones showing problems. They are stunted, have purplish veins, tiny black spots, some larger yellowish white spots, (the same looking as a couple spots on my peppers)some yellowing leaves at their bases (that I removed yesterday) and bugs. One bug I believe is a green aphid (which are particularly on the peppers), and the other I'm not positive about...but it may be a thrip. I pulled two off one of my tomato plants and it looked like a large black gnat, somewhat of a circular shape, with noticable wings.

If that was indeed a thrip, I am worried that my tomatoes have TSWV, but I'm not positive and hate to pull them up if I'm wrong and they are not virus laden. If that is the case though, I want them out and to start treating the rest of the beds before my other plants are damaged.

Help? I do not mind pesticides and am happy to listen to ANY advice!! Thanks for reading!!

* I have pics but my message is rejected when I add them *

Comments (4)