Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomatoes Diseased...or possibly environmental cause

Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
Fri, May 15, 09 at 19:27

I checked the 'Problem Solver" thread and still cant seem to get a grasp on what I have.
These seedlings are about 12 weeks old, have been outside hardening off gradually for the last 2 and a half weeks.

They are growing in Pro-Mix and have been for the past 9 weeks or so.
They did get some dirt spattered on them when it rained overnight about a week and a half ago(although the dirt in question is driveway dirt and nothing has ever been planted there), and the spots have been on them since about 2 days after the rain stoppped.
It did rain/stay overcast and cool for around an 8 day stretch right before these spots showed up.

So is this something they can possibly grow out of, the plants themselves are pretty healthy looking where there are no spots.

Hope I included enough info, but if not let me know....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Sorry about the picture quality, I had to use my cell phone as I cannot for the life of me find the charger to my camera.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomatoes Diseased...or possibly environmental cause

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, May 15, 09 at 23:09

Environmental glitch.

They could use larger pots or go into the ground, with protection if needed.

Beyond that, they look very pale. If you haven't fertilized at all or for a while, please do so.

o

• Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
    Mon, May 18, 09 at 16:15

Thanks Jean.

I have potted them up into larger pots for a stop gap measure until the weather settles down enough to get them into the garden. I have also given them a diluted dose of Miracle Grow. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can get them into the garden by Wednesday.... this cold snap has gotten my nerves on edge, I can hardly believe we have a freeze warning up for tonight. But that's New England weather for ya!

Thanks Again for the help.

Oh and on a side note, I picked off the worst of the spotted foliage on Saturday , and so far no new spots have appeared, I am hoping this is good news.

o

I'm having this exact same problem right now. I can't see any insects, just the discoloration and spots. It has been rainy and colder than usual for a week or so. They have been in the ground 2 weeks after some hardening off. Will a perk up in temp help them? Elsewhere I have seen a suggestion they might need nitrogen. My soil is raised beds all new and improved, organic, lots of compost, etc.. Suggestions?

o

lolear,

If yours look the same, they definitely need fertilizer.

o

I am all organic. Will kelp help? More compost?

o

Mon, Jun 1, 09 at 22:45

Mine grew out of it in about two weeks once they were in the ground and the weather warmed up. A Fish and kelp based fertilizer will definitely help.

o

Hope you found your charger. Look for one on Ebay if you haven't found it.

~greg

o

Fri, Jun 5, 09 at 15:40

Good idea Greg...I never even thought to do that :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here