Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fran35_gw

Help with ID of Tomato leaf problem

fran35
11 years ago

Greetings

I have this unidentified leaf roll/curl issue. I have approx 50 plants, with more than half affected growing in a lasagna bed with straw/well composted cow manure/leaves. The plants started off strong, but have developed this malady that is seemingly spreading. Help!

Comments (7)

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Herbicide damage, with 2 possible origins.

1. Someone used 2,4-D somewhere in the general vicinity.

2. Manure is contaminated w/ clopyralid or related compound (herbicides) -- see these pages for symptoms, also how to do simple bio-assay to confirm or not.

The homepage with symptoms & more http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/clopyralid.htm

For bio-assay http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/soilmgmt/pubs/clobioassay.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: bio-assay

• fran35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much for the ehlp and the link. I am not sure how some of my other plants are doing well, but it is only affecting the tomato plants. Is there any hope for thse plants surviving anf being productive, or should I just till the soil and wait until next year? Major, major bummer.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Do the bio-assay to determine if the straw mulch is the problem.

If it is, remove all the of it and compost it as directed in the articles.

• fran35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks, removal of the straw mulch will be easy. However, the lasagna garden is comprised of about of 4-5 layers of the straw/manure/leaves, and there is no way I could remove it all. I guess I will just have to ride it out and wait and see. Is there a chance that some of the tomato plants will survive? Here is an overall picture of the beds. I have done so much work getting these beds and garden ready this year, I am ready to cry about this. My lasagna garden worked so well last year, kind of bummed this year may be done before it even starts.

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Your garden is beautiful. Let's hope my thoughts are wrong.

But if I'm correct that it is contaminated straw and/or manure, some veggies will be fine in spite of it. (The WSU info tells which ones.)

Further, if it is contaminated straw and/or manure, you now know what to do before using it.
    1. Ask if the herbicides in the articles were used on the straw.
    2. If any of them were used,either obtain straw/manure from elsewhere (after asking the same question) or compost as suggested in the articles the year previous to using it.
    3. And if you end up composting it for the year as directed, do the bio-assay before putting in susceptible plants and/or using in lasagne bed.

• fran35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much Jean. After doing quite a bit of reading, I think you are dead on. I called the farmer I got the manure from and he stated that it couldn't have been from him spraying because he only sprayed out in the pastures to keep the thistle down. Hmmm...I didn't want it to get hostile, I didn't explain how it happened. Anyway, I guess the good news is that it is still plenty early enough to plant extra squash, cucumber, etc. Now if I could only defeat the squash bugs to get a harvest. Any tips on that one?

• jean001a
    11 years ago

Sorry, no tips about the squash bug. We don't have them in my area.

And yes, do plant more. Concentrate on putting in plants listed as tolerant. In the contaminated gardens I've seen, all the Solenaceae (tomatoes, pepper, tomatoes, eggplant) were affected as well as beans.