Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato plant leaves are looking bleached out.

Posted by shawna_2008 (My Page) on
Thu, May 8, 08 at 19:40

My husband and I planted our garden last weekend. We haven't had much rain its been pretty sunny. Our tomato plant leaves are looking bleached out. Is this okay?? What is wrong with them. HELP!!! This is our first garden. Thank you.
Shawna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato plant leaves are looking bleached out.

Probably just sunburn, the new growth should look fine. If you didn't harden them off properly the tender leaves will burn in the sun and turn white. If they start wilting you need to water them (if you haven't had a lot of rain)they will also wilt from too much water.Theresa

o
RE: Tomato plant leaves are looking bleached out.

Three days ago, I transplanted 15 tall, healthy plants (each a different variety) from 3" pots and into raised rows and full sun. I gave them all a shot of "Miracle Grow for Tomatoes" last night, and this morning the leaves are bleached out on almost every plant. I don't think the M.G. has anything to do with the trouble. Instead, I think the trouble is one of two things: cold damage or sunburn (or both).

1. The temperature dropped to the lower fifties a few nights last week (even though it's June in Missouri). 2. Before transplanting, the plants were in 100% shade for a week. I think the transition to 100% sun might have caused the discoloration.

I'll make a follow up post with what eventually happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here