Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samfent

Is this blight? ...or what is wrong with these tomatoes?

samfent
13 years ago

Hi all,

First time here, worried about some newly-planted tomatoes.

I got a couple four-inch tomato plants from my local big-box store, a Big Boy and a Husky Cherry Red. They're about 6-8 inches now.

About a week after I put them in earth, I started noticing that the lower leaves started getting some yellow splotches. I figured this was lack of nitrogen, and gave them some fertilizer.

It's now a couple weeks later. The yellowness is turning to brownness, the lower leaves are curling upwards, getting crispy, and a few tiny circular holes have started appearing. Nothing has fallen off yet.

I also noticed a tiny bit of white "dust" around the very edges of the leaves on the upper-half of the plant. For all I know, this could be dust from the construction site near-by, but I'm worried it could also be a fungus. No blackness visible.

I water the plants about 1/4-1/2 an inch per day. Don't know if this may be too much or too little. Also, it was warm the week I put them it, but it dropped down to about 45 degrees this past week.

Here are some photos of the leaves. The thinner leaves are the Big Boy and the wider ones are the cherry.

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (3)