Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devin_mendoza

Tomato psyllids or disease???

Devin Mendoza
9 years ago

Hello, attached is a pic of my celebrity tomato plant, it looked very healthy until about a week after transplanting it to its SWC. It's planted in 45% compost / 45% spag peat / 10% perlite with about 1 tbs osmocote 14-14-14.

Compost is from my local mulch/compost/soil nursery (not sure if they're called something else). 2 citrus trees and 10 alphonse karr bamboo have been planted with this same compost (no ill effects).

My other SWC's did not use any compost (MG potting mix alone) and have been very productive (I think so anyway, lots of fruit starting/almost ready to harvest).

I haven't seen any psyllids at all, and not sure if I have seen eggs either, the "sugaring" on the leaves seems like a very thin "glaze" rather than actual granulated sugar. But the dark purple veins and curling leaves has me thinking psyllids⦠???

I've done one round of Safer soap spray and then rinsed about 1 hr later (late in the day), Powdered sulfur on the leaves (left on for a few days before rinsing off) and lastly applied a foliar spraying of Neptunes seaweed and fish fert.

Ok so there's the background, now please help! Thanks!

-Devin

This post was edited by DevinM on Tue, May 20, 14 at 20:49

Comments (8)

• Devin Mendoza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic, can you post more than 1 pic at a time??

• Devin Mendoza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Starving?

What have your temps been?

• Devin Mendoza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Temps have been as high as 90 and as low as 70 for the last couple of weeks. The swc reservoir has been full, the plant isn't consuming nearly as much water as the rest, but it is also several weeks younger. I can try top watering it if its not wicking properly yet

• lm13
    9 years ago

I agree it looks like a nutrient deficiency. In container gardening the general consensus is you should plant in a soilless mixture like potting mix. If, like you said, you are getting better results from your plants not planted in compost, then that very well may be your problem.

If you just planted out a week ago, there still would be time to replant in a different mix. You could reuse the compost mixture elsewhere in ground or maybe as a mulch.

• Devin Mendoza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's now been planted almost 4 weeks. The first week it looked fine, and it's been getting worse. Can I still transplant to a 100% soiless mix? Thanks for the help!

-Devin

• lm13
    9 years ago

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I think the problem people run into with heavier medium is the medium compacts the roots and affects the plants ability to uptake nutrients. It also doesn't promote proper drainage.

Are the plants that are doing well in potting mix tomatoes or another vegetable? If they are tomatoes, are thriving and have no signs of leaf disease, it really makes me think it is your compost mix.

It's up to you. If it's looking this bad after 4 weeks and getting worse, I'm not sure it's going to improve in that soil. You could try to transplant it or start over with a new plant since you have a long growing season. If you transplant, gently remove and try to shake free most of the soil. Snip off the lower limbs and plant it deep. That will cause the tomato to put out more roots. Plant in potting mix and water deeply. Fertilize as needed. Most recommend a balanced liquid fertilizer at a diluted strength. Maybe it will perk up in a week or two and put out new growth.

Hopefully someone will chime in with another opinion. Sorry about your plant. Celebrity is supposed to be very hardy so maybe it can be saved. :)

• Devin Mendoza
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

I am going to go another week while checking soil moisture with a bamboo skewer, and I am going to try and plant another tomato as I really want an indeterminate tomato plant. If it still looks south I'll switch to a soilless potting mix.

I have a Roma that seems to be thriving, about 35 tomatoes growing at 7 weeks since transplant and 3 pepper plants that are all producing well too. All foliage seems nice and green, and the fruit is getting bigger every day!

First time gardening so I'm excited. Those have been fertilized with foliage pro 9-3-6. I used Neptunes 2-3-1 since I didn't want to overwhelm the plant with the osmocote and a high npk liquid fertilizer.