Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
disease or bugs on tomato plants

Posted by tishky z6 ky (My Page) on
Thu, May 28, 09 at 21:06

I have recently planted my plants about 2 weeks ago. I had my soil tested and was told that I needed nitrogen 34-0-0. We have added that. We have had a lot of rain in Kentucky and now my tomato plants have little yellow spots with black holes on the leaves. It appears it is starting at the bottom and working its way up. I noticed something has been munching on the pepper plants so I did treat it with Ortho Lawn and Garden. Can anyone look at photo and tell if it is disease or bug. I am new to gardening.

Image link: disease or bugs on tomato plants (60 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: disease or bugs on tomato plants

This looks to be flea beetle damage. Look for small black insects that jump when you disturb them. They love tomatoes and eggplant. I have used Sevin as a control.I am not sure if Ortho Lawn and Garden will control flea beetle. Read the label. Sevin is also good for cucumber beetle and all types of caterpillars. It is also toxic to pollinators so use with caution when plants are flowering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here