Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samlowrey

Strange pattern on tomatoes

samlowrey
15 years ago

I'm a beginner at growing tomatoes. I did search around and see quite a bit about "early blight." I didn't run across this symptom, but perhaps that is what I'm dealing with.

I have a few container tomatoes - "Patio tomatoes." Each pot has about three stems (three individual plants). As can be seen from the picture, the tomatoes on one stem developed a textured appearance (on the right). The tomatoes did not seem desiccated - they remained plump in appearance. But the skin has a textured, leathery appearance. Both tomatoes on this plant were uniformly green and leathery looking. The plant itself soon wilted. The other plants in the pot look ok for now (on the left/background).

Some background, after looking through these forums I decided to do some things after purchasing the plants. I repotted them in larger containers - 12" in diameter. Perhaps it is still too small? I kinda need to move them around so I hesitated getting larger ones. Also, I put some egg shells in the soil to avoid BER. When I transplanted them, I did not disturb the roots since they were apparently grown in some clump of peat (bought them from Home Depot - I'm sure they aren't the best.)

If you read all that, thanks. :-)

Image link:

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!