Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byonan

Can't Figure it Out???? Fungal or Physiological

byonan
17 years ago

For the life of me I can not figure out what is up with my plants. The leaves are turning yellow with brownish spots....nothing that looks like any of the blight pictures I have seen. From what I have seen online it looks like they are suffering from physical conditions... I'm in LA, it was pretty warm when I took them out of the small green house, then about two weeks of colder weather, never below 45 at night, not much higher than 70 during the day with some colder days.

I found a bunch of aphids on other plants I have, not on the tomatos that I could see, I let a bunch of lady bugs on them tonight, hope that helps. Can anyone tell what is going on?

Image link:

Comments (6)

• tomatolover51
    17 years ago

From the photo it looks like powdery mildew. Gardens Alive has some fungal remedies. Check out their web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens Alive

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

Powdery Mildew is one possibility but I don't like the look of the blackish brown edges and wonder if the plants are also too wet.

To cover your bases re fungal foliage diseases I'd get Ortho Garden Disease Control, aka Daconil and start a regular spraying schedule.

Are in a coastal area near LA b'c if you are, it makes more sense.

Carolyn

• byonan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am in the valley, closer to Burbank than LA. Thanks for all the advice. One problem that may be my fault is that when I water I use a sprinkler can and never gave much thought to getting the plant wet. Is this a problem, water getting all over the plant leaves? I have cut way down on the watering for fear that they were being over watered. I have attached another pic to get a better idea of what it looks like...if that is possible. Again, thanks for the help.

By the way, these plants are in seven galloon containers on my patio, I am also growing spaghetti squash, armenian cucumber, bush cucumber, red and green bell peppers, japanesse eggplant, beans, jalapeno & pepperocinni peppers. I also have a variety of flowers, shrubs,fern, palm and herbs...would these cause any problems or could the tomato problem spread to my other plants.

• byonan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oops...let's see if this works

Here is a link that might be useful: tomato pics

• carolyn137
    17 years ago

No, it's not a problem getting water on the leaves.

Please do remember that most of us live in areas where water falls out of the sky. LOL But it is best to water in the AM where you live, b'c you have to water so frequently, so that the foliage has time to dry. Doing it in the evening is less good.

Most of the new pictures are very very dark and I can't see the lesions well, but I still think possibly too wet but would possibly hedge my bets by starting a regular spraying schedule with Ortho Garden Disease Control, which is Daconil, which is THE best ant-fungal around.

What I'm saying is that nothing looks bacterial that I can see, as far as foliage diseases are concerned, at least so far.

Carolyn

• feldon30
    17 years ago

It is so easy to water the soil and avoid watering the leaves, so why not do it? I would imagine there are regional concerns as far as humidity. When its muggy, leaves don't dry out as quickly as they ought to.

Only when applying foliar treatments like diluted Seaweed/Fish Emulsion or Compost Tea do I water the leaves.