Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help identifying what is killing my plants

Posted by sbslider So Cal coast (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 0:03

stems. I have also observed small black droppings beneath the plant, but have not seen any bugs. The density of the plants is high which prevents getting a good look. I read through a tomato book I have but could not really identify the problem. I will also say the plants are in pots which have peat, vermiculite and the other small glass rock. My home made equivalent of a earthbox.

The plants are on the south side of my house, and get full sun at least 708 hours a day. The house blocks early morning and late afternoon sun this time of year. I would appreciate any tips on slowing or removing this problem, as my tomatoes are big and would love to have a full season worth.

thanks, Matt

the first picture shows the dead leaves and spots on the stems

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help identifying what is killing my plants

the next picture shows healthy leaves

o

a picture of wilted new leaves

o

somehow the beginning of my message was cut off. As the pictures above show, the bottom leaves are dying off. I have removed most of the dead leaves, There are also grey and darker spots on the stems, which are pictured above. Would love some help identifying this problem as well as solutions. I read through a book I have on tomatoes and could not identify the disease with one in particular. As noted above,the plants are in pots which have peat, vermiculite and the other small glass rock. My home made equivalent of a earthbox.

o

sbslider, can you post a photo of the in-between stages: a nice close-up of what it looks like between the healthy plant stage and the totally dried-up leaves and moldy-looking stems stage?

I added a thread on GW's Growing Tomatoes forum (which gets much more traffic than this one) so hopefully you'll get a knowledgeable answer soon!

o

Looks like it may be gray leaf spot. Are your plants kept in a very humid environment?

o

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I live about 3-4 miles as the crow flies from the ocean, but there is a hill between me and there. I don't know what the typical relative humidity is but the plants are outside and exposed to the prevailing breeze that blows daily.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here