Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yodat

what are these eggs and cobwebs?

yodat
13 years ago

This is my first time growing tomatoes and something is slowly getting to them. I have a patio kind and a roma kind. The "patio" plant has leaves that are curling along the edges and turning brown. This is happening at various spots along the plant, not just the top leaves or the ones on the bottom. This plant is fruiting but so much damage has been done I have a feeling the 3 ripening on it now will be its last.

My Roma plant is pretty tall and bushy but has no fruits at all, its leaves have much less of the browning/curling that the other one does. Today I found eggs on one of the small leaves of this plant!

About a month ago I did find one giant green caterpillar on one, but killed it and haven't seen any since. I do go out at night with a flashlight but never see anything!

The plants are in a mix of "Sta Green" Lowe's soil and homemade compost and I did put a bunch of crushed eggshells in their holes when planting.

BOTH plants have spiderweb looking things all over them, and I saw a tiny spider in one. Is this what is causing the damage??

I don't know if this is related, but I have 3 healthy strawberry plants nearby and though I see fruit forming, it always disappears before I can pick it. :( Cry!

All of these plant are under a large chicken wire cover, btw, no large animals are getting to them.

If you know what's wrong please let me know!! I'd love to get good at growing tomatoes but I can't find out what is happening to make them sick.

Image link:

Comment (1)