Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foliage Disease on Turkey Chomp

Posted by Lee_ NC-7 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 6:51

I have seen this disease on many of my tomato plants over the past few years.
It seems to always be limited to the lower leaves, and it doesn't seem to affect the plant in terms of growth or productivity.

I was just wondering what it could be.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Thanx for your help!

Lee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foliage Disease on Turkey Chomp

Lee,

I can't see the interior structure of the spots that clearly but it's either Septoria Leaf Spot, which I'm leaning towards, or Early BLight ( A.solani) and both are common fungal foliage pathogens and would be treated the same way.

The fact that you see it only on the bottom leaves means the infections are from splashback reinfection from previously contaminated soil since all NEW infections are airborne.

Carolyn

o

• Posted by Lee_ NC-7 (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 8:35

The fact that you see it only on the bottom leaves means the infections are from splashback reinfection from previously contaminated soil since all NEW infections are airborne.

Probably so, but it is frustrating that this happened even though I put down a straw mulch. I have never mulched before, so I wanted to try it this year to see if it would help prevent splashback problems!

What are the distinct characteristics that distinguish Septoria Leaf Spot from Early Blight?

Lee

o

• Posted by farkee 10 B South Fl. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 14:54

Septoria has little black dots within the leafspot which are the fruiting spores of the fungus.

With early blight you may find concentric circles within the leafspot.

http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/diseases/earlyblight.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: Septoria

o

Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 17:14

Oh, so if it is Septoria, I should remove the infected leaves ASAP so no more fungal spores come into being?

Lee

o

• Posted by farkee 10 B South Fl. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 17:57

If you read the Early Blight link it also says this: "Thousands of spores are produced in spots of infected leaves that are capable of causing more infections. " so spores are not just a factor with septoria.

o

Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 20:49

Maybe I should invent a Carolina Quarantine Cage to help keep the spores away from other plants once disease hits!

Lee

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here