Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee_71

Foliage Disease on Turkey Chomp

lee_71
18 years ago

I have seen this disease on many of my tomato plants over the past few years.

It seems to always be limited to the lower leaves, and it doesn't seem to affect the plant in terms of growth or productivity.

I was just wondering what it could be.

{{gwi:1295474}}

Thanx for your help!

Lee

Comments (6)

• carolyn137
    18 years ago

Lee,

I can't see the interior structure of the spots that clearly but it's either Septoria Leaf Spot, which I'm leaning towards, or Early BLight ( A.solani) and both are common fungal foliage pathogens and would be treated the same way.

The fact that you see it only on the bottom leaves means the infections are from splashback reinfection from previously contaminated soil since all NEW infections are airborne.

Carolyn

• lee_71
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The fact that you see it only on the bottom leaves means the infections are from splashback reinfection from previously contaminated soil since all NEW infections are airborne.

Probably so, but it is frustrating that this happened even though I put down a straw mulch. I have never mulched before, so I wanted to try it this year to see if it would help prevent splashback problems!

What are the distinct characteristics that distinguish Septoria Leaf Spot from Early Blight?

Lee

• farkee
    18 years ago

Septoria has little black dots within the leafspot which are the fruiting spores of the fungus.

With early blight you may find concentric circles within the leafspot.

http://www.ento.okstate.edu/ddd/diseases/earlyblight.htm>

Here is a link that might be useful: Septoria

• lee_71
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh, so if it is Septoria, I should remove the infected leaves ASAP so no more fungal spores come into being?

Lee

• farkee
    18 years ago

If you read the Early Blight link it also says this: "Thousands of spores are produced in spots of infected leaves that are capable of causing more infections. " so spores are not just a factor with septoria.

• lee_71
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Maybe I should invent a Carolina Quarantine Cage to help keep the spores away from other plants once disease hits!

Lee

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida