Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Use of fungicides, etc

Posted by colmlt z6 Maryland (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 7:22

I would like to know when one should treat tomato plants with fungicides, etc. My plants seem very healthy. I bought a product called Fungicide by Garden Safe. It is supposed to have a fungicide, insecticide, and miticide in it. Should I spray them now? What other information should I know? I appreciate all of your feedback.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Use of fungicides, etc

• Posted by farkee 10 B South Fl. (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 15, 05 at 16:29

Hi Colmlt, I believe the product you have is Neem as it is from Garden Safe.

For use as a insecticide and miticide I would use when problems develop not preventatively.

For a fungicide I think answers may vary.
1) Begin using when conditions favor disease development.

2) Begin when the VERY first signs of a disease are discovered.

3) Begin when fruit begins to set as that is the usually start of disease development. (or a tad before fruit set)

4) Some people begin from the moment they put their plants out but I believe , in the case of daconil, this would put you over the maximum seasonal total application rate if it rains alot and you are frequently reapplying.

If I was using neem , I don't think I would wait until signs of foliar leaf spots so if fruit is setting I would begin spraying now according to the label directions. (by the way, I am curious, just what does the label recommend?) Best wishes , farkee

o

Hi Farkee,
You mentioned that Daconil has a maximum seasonal total application rate. Where would you find this information? The instructions I have don't mention this.

o

• Posted by farkee 10 B South Fl. (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 0:46

The maximum seasonal total application rate is quite high--
I read it on the back of a pre-mixed bottle of Daconil available in Lowes. It said for tomatoes it was 15. But since you asked and as I don't have the bottle I am not sure if that means limit to spraying 15 times or if it related to some other measurement like 15 pounds per acre or something like that. I thought it meant 15 times but I could be wrong. I am sure you can use daconil frequently ( every 7 to 10 days or something like that) but I am guessing ,like everything else, there is bound to be some recommended level as to how many times to spray during a season.

o

4) Some people begin from the moment they put their plants out but I believe , in the case of daconil, this would put you over the maximum seasonal total application rate if it rains alot and you are frequently reapplying.

And I just read your followup remark as well.

There is no limit that I know of and I think the comment on that bottle might well have to do with the fact that it's pre-mixed. Diluted products often have a shorter shelf life than the concentrated preps.

Carolyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here