Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennilynne16

Something is eating my green tomatoes?

jennilynne16
13 years ago

I think something is eating my green tomatoes. I have 3 Beefsteak tomato plants, and 2 of them have had tomatoes on them for a few weeks now. I only have 3 tomatoes total, and all three of them popped up at about the same time, and they've grown to about half dollar size or so. Until a few days ago, they were growing nicely (although it seems so SLOW!). But a recent trip to the garden devastated me. It looks like something is eating them! I don't have pics, but I can describe the spots. They look like shallow craters, about penny to nickel size, and there are 1-2 spots per tomato, all close to the stem end on the side facing away from the plant. They are whitish/grayish in color (about the color I'd imagine a green dried up tomato would look like)...nothing black or brown like rot. I haven't had any problems with my tomatoes so far this year, except for over-watering resulting in leaf curling, which I have figured out. The only "bugs" I've seen in the area are bees and ants. I'm not sure what is doing it, and I feel pretty sure that these tomatoes are ruined, but I don't want whatever it is to get to any future tomatoes I might have. So if you could guess at what it is and let me know solutions, that would be great. I'd like to go natural if possible, since I've avoided chemicals up to this point. I feel like it's the tomato fruit worm, but I'm not sure. Also, I can't seem to find the solution anywhere! I'm a first time gardener, so any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.