Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hareth_gw

flowers falling off

hareth
16 years ago

something is causing the tomato flowers to fall off at the "knuckle" as if they are being cut off. I cannot see any insects doing this. (I had a similar problem with my plum tree last year but not this year). The photo shows two flowers cut off. Similar fate will happen to the other flowers. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Image link:

Comments (5)

• digdirt2
    16 years ago

Hi Hareth - It's called blossom drop - a common problem. The link below is to the FAQ on it and discusses the causes and remedies. If you search using that term you will find many discussions about it to review for tips and info. ;)

Dave

• tennegreen
    16 years ago

check super good for Tomato Horn Worms. They are nearly invisible in the foliage.

I think they were eating off the leaves around my blossoms and killing them. Got'em though!

• hareth
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the replies. Blossum drop seems the mostly likely cause but yet to find out the specific reason.

• tennegreen
    16 years ago

Heat is generally the #1.

• eeb1031_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Not only did I by tomato plants with blooms but I got 3 so far and now no more. There is also white flat worm like things on the leaveas. Between the blossom drop and white flat worms, I'm mad. I bought the soil at Lowes, and put the two plants in a big container. I'm going to go back to Lowes and see what they say but in the mean time, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.