Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato leaves in containers turning brown/yellow

Posted by skeezix8 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 13, 07 at 8:18

I planted four tomato plants in containers around May 1..they have been growing well for the past month, hearty stalks, stems and leaves. Overall May was extremely dry in MD, but we had a day of solid rain approx two weeks ago (maybe 2 inches in one day). As a result of being so dry I had been watering in early am and in the evening, the plants sit in almost full sun on a deck off the back of the house. Just after the rain episode, I noticed one plants leaves around the base of the plant start to yellow. Soon the yellow leaves began to appear all around the plant, eventually these yellow leaves turn brown, dry up and are basically dead. I have noticed the other three tom. plants start to follow this same pattern. Is this a fungus/disease...early blight? Is this overwatering? I am confused, also concerned all four will die and never produce anything??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato leaves in containers turning brown/yellow

Usually, the yellowing of plant leaves indicates excessive water so that is the best bet given your weather and watering pattern. But without seeing a picture of the plant it is impossible to tell for sure so check out the disease link below for comparison to your plants.

The best way to find out if that is the problem is to cut back substantially on the watering and note if the plant's color improves. Keep in mind that overwatering is far more lethal to plants than underwatering so when in doubt - wait. The roots need oxygen as much as they need water and excessively wet soil deprives them of that oxygen.

The best method to check is to stick you finger deep into the soil and check to see if it is dry deep down. Or allow the plant to begin to droop slightly before watering. They will tolerate that with no problem.

Plants in containers may also need an extra boost of food as much of it leaches out with the water or heavy rains. So try a 1/2 strength dose of whatever your favorite fert is too. Good luck and enjoy your tomatoes. Remember - they're tough AND tolerant of us! ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Diseases

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here