Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiny brown spots on tomatoes

Posted by primulaveris Z8 Augusta GA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 18, 06 at 8:49

Almost all of my tomatoes have tiny brown spots on them. What is it and how can I treat it with an organic method? Thanks a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: tomatoe pic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiny brown spots on tomatoes

Looks like a bacterial disease to me; bacterial speck can affect the fruit like that.

Speck likes cool, wet conditions, so things may improve as the weather warms up. Try to thin out the foliage some to allow for better air circulation, and try not to get the plants wet in the evening when they won't have time to dry.

If you need to spray -- and you may not, as it just makes the fruit look a little ugly, though it's fine to eat and ripens normally -- a fixed-copper spray works pretty well on bacterial speck and spot. It's organic, but not particularly healthy for people, so make sure you follow the precautions on the label if you apply it.

If it were my tomato, I'd improve air circulation as much as I could and wait it out. It won't kill the plant and it just puts little spots on the fruit. Once the weather warms up, it may go away.

--Alison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here