Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunflower71

Identification of two bugs, please...

sunflower71
18 years ago

One is black with two thin orange stripes across its back. It flies and is pretty quick. I didn't see it doing anything in particular but I got the feeling it was up to no good. :)

The other was shiny, kind of fat lady-bug shaped, mostly dark orange with a row of black dots on each side at the edge of its back, some kind of larvae maybe?? They appeared to be munching on the leaves (large holes and poo were also present on those leaves). Slow-moving, did not fly.

Any guesses?

Shaila

Comments (4)

• farkee
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The lady-bugshaped one is the nymph of the stinkbug (NOT the good predatory type of stinkbug)--when they are little like that they hang around in groups deciding which tomato to suck on next. When I see them in little groups I put a whole little plastic baggie over them and shake them into it. Sometime I can evan catch an adult like that. They are dreadful for tomatoes and when the adult populations build up they are very hard to get rid of. There are different colorations--not sure which one you have.

I am not sure about the black one --probably leaf-footed bug. As it as a stripe across back but their are several variaties. (but you said TWO stripes so I am not sure.) They are cousins to stink-bug. Their larvae are little red guys, looks nothing like the adult.
    LF bugs are very good flyers , sometimes I can still catch them by putting paper cup over them and put my hand quickly behind the cup to cover top, give a little shake and they are in there. If you see one directly and you are no good at catching , try Safer Insect spray (pyrethrin) sprayed right on 'em. (but be careful if plant is blooming as it kills bees too.)

((if you go to google and click IMAGES and put in stinkbug nymphs you will see all kinds))

Images of leaf-footed bug:
    nymphs

RE: Identification of two bugs, please...**

• Posted by: farkee 10 B South Fl. (My Page) on Mon, Jun 20, 05 at 12:47

Sorry, I mislabeled that highlighted link.

Here is one for stink bug nymphs (the above one obviously was for LF bugs.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stink bug nymphs

RE: Identification of two bugs, please...

Shaila,

The 2nd bug you mentioned - mostly orange with black spots on it's sides - sounds like the nymph of the colorado potatoe beetle although I'm not even sure they are found in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: photo

RE: Identification of two bugs, please...

• Posted by: Tompy 6a/5b (My Page) on Wed, Jun 22, 05 at 13:24

First bug?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1295774}}

Post a Follow-Up
    Your Name:

Your Email Address:

Zone (optional):

Subject of Posting:

Optional Link URL:

Name of the Link:

A copy of your follow-up will automatically be emailed to the original poster.
    Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Here is a link that might be useful: Stink bug nymphs

• farkee
    18 years ago

Sorry, I mislabeled that highlighted link.

Here is one for stink bug nymphs (the above one obviously was for LF bugs.)

Here is a link that might be useful: photo

• teresa_in_md
    18 years ago

Shaila,

The 2nd bug you mentioned - mostly orange with black spots on it's sides - sounds like the nymph of the colorado potatoe beetle although I'm not even sure they are found in your area.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1295774}}

• tompy
    18 years ago

First bug?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!