Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
neem oil on tomatoes

Posted by youngneg PA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 9:55

Hello Mater growers
I have a little problem with whiteflies and amphids...and i want them gone...but never used neem oil on maters before...can anybody give me some info or experience using it..or a better solution
Thanks
Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: neem oil on tomatoes

How "little" is the problem? Healthy plants can tolerate both with little damage if it isn't a thick infestation and the lady bugs will control them and proliferate. Or you can just blast them off with a water hose sprayer. Keep in mind that many of the white "bugs" you are seeing are really just the empty white carapaces of the hatched aphids and pose no threat.

Neem is safe to use on tomatoes but it will also kill any beneficial insects like ladybugs and lacewings and trich wasps that control hornworms. So unless you have a really bad infestation it's best to let the beneficials and water hose control them.

Another alternative is the soapy water spray (a few drops of soap- not detergent- in a spray bottle of water) sprayed directly on the insects (don't drench the plant) in the early morning (not in the direct sun or high heat).

Good luck. ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Neem oil kill beneficials?

o
RE: neem oil on tomatoes

I used a spray of Octagon soap which so far has been effective. Sprayed early in the morning, let it stay on plants for a few minutes and rinsed off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tomato Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here